TEN SEMI-RANDOM FUN FACTS ABOUT MARCUS GARVEY
- Garvey was born in 1887 in St. Ann’s Bay on the north coast of Jamaica.
- His full name is Marcus Mosiah Garvey, Jr.
- Over the course of his life, he lived in Jamaica, Panama, Costa Rica, the United States, and the United Kingdom.
- His father was a mason.
- He founded the Universal Negro Improvement Association. Malcolm X’s parents, Earl and Louise Little, met at a UNIA convention in Montreal.
- In 1922, Garvey met with the Acting Imperial Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, causing backlash from other black leaders.
- He is buried the Marcus Garvey Memorial at National Heroes’ Park in Kingston, Jamaica.
- He has his own “ism”. According to Wikipedia, “The fundamental focus of Garveyism is the complete, total and never ending redemption of the continent of Africa by people of African ancestry, at home and abroad. It is rooted in one basic idea: ‘whatsoever things common to man that man has done, man can do’. Therefore, Africa can become as glorious and profoundly advanced in the scientific and technological realm as any, when Africans will it to be.”
- He was married twice.
- Rastafarians consider Garvey a religious prophet.
(Facts from UCLA African Studies Center, WNYC, and Wikipedia)
He built a hotel.
His organization had their own trucking company.
He built schools.
He built restaurants.
His organization had their own printing press.
He started 3 newspapers which highlighted art and music in the black community( which later leads to the by product of the Harlem Renascence)
His main newspaper was called the Negro World, and this newspaper was published in Spanish and French.
His black organization bought 3 ships and they started practicing international trade and commerce.
Marcus Garvey’s organization owned office buildings.
They also bought an auditorium in New York, and that’s where he mainly spoke and this place was called Liberty Hall.
By 1920 Marcus Garvey organization had 6 million members.
They had branches in 22 countries.
Marcus Garvey did all of this without help from white people or the Government, and he did it with and 8th grade education.